The attachment of the drawer guides to the drawer sides is critical to the fit and function of these flush faced through drawers. Blow it and the drawer won't work. If that were to happen I could do some planing to make it work - but the fit wouldn't look too good.

I could
remove all but one drawer
shim up the bottom for some clearance
- slide the guides in on either side with clamps on either end to hold them their correct amount of extension out in front of the drawer their correct position (they need to stick out in front of the unit by 1 3/8
- drill three small holes on the inside of the drawer into a guide
- drive small brads through the drawer side into the guide to hold it
- remove the drawer, drill and counter sink 4 holes in the outside of
..the drawer and attach it to the drawer with screws to permit easy
..replacement when necessary

The method seemed reasonable - except for the drilling holes through the drawer sides. That'd leave holes which, even if filled, would show. What to do? Sleep on it of course. Two nights later, just before dropping off to sleep it came to me. Put the drawers in their openings, shim the bottoms for the needed clearance, slide the guides into their positions and hot glue the guides temporarily to the side of the face of the front and back of the drawer. Pull the drawer out, do the screw thing then pop the hot glue off.

And it worked, sort of. I used one of those counter sink with drill bit bits but, instead of using the drill press to make user things were nice and square - I used a cordless drill. Found out that a little tilt while drilling caused the guide to move when I put in the screws. Not a lot but just enough movement to screw things up. Took the guides off, glued in plugs and waited 'til the next day to trim things flush and try again.

NOTE TO SELF. If drilled holes must be square to a face and accurately placed

more ------->

<------ back to the previous page

<--- Back to the Bench Index

<------- back to the main index